[Asterisk-Users] Linux and Windows

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Tue Nov 2 00:02:44 MST 2004

I'm not sure why I'm even discussing the benefits of one operating
system over another with someone who can't even spell its name.

Interesting... In hundreds of consulting gigs, gaming never once has
been a factor.  How about that truthfulness?  No really... Is gaming the
reason why YOU keep a windows machine around (?), because not one of my
machines has seen a game in at least five years nor do I know anyone who
uses their computer for gaming.  The handful of friends who like gaming
use their xboxes and nintendos and segas (are those still around even?)

> So, I say, if you want to play games and that is what drives
> your choice, then say so and don't come up with all these
> pretense arguments. But I also say that playing games is not
> an activity that one should expect to get paid for.

See what I was saying about those insults?  Maybe you don't mean to be
insulting, but maybe there's a language barrier or some general
inability to understand the written word, and that's why you don't grasp
the concept of need-driven choices?  Many users have a valid NEED for
Windows servers and clients... Some applications are only available on
certain platforms, so that is what drives your choice.  Just as graphic
designers chose the Mac platform for a long time because certain
applications were only available on the Mac.

> > don't like it, don't use it,
>
> In fact I don't.
>
> > but don't insult the people who do.
>
> Who is the one making is the insult here? The one with the
> pretense argument or the one who says one shouldn't expect to
> get paid for playing games?
>
> > accept that there are valid uses
>
> Vaild uses, sure. Question is whether that includes the
> workplace. I believe it doesn't.

Persistent little troll, aren't you?

If you are saying that nobody who's using Windows in the workplace is
actually "working", then I'd have to conclude that anyone who defends an
operating system as ruthlessly and impolitely as you do, does probably
not have much of a life outside of computers.

But maybe we both should get back to WORK now.  Oh no wait, YOU have to
computers, once I finish the work on my linux machines.  There are names
for people like you, but I don't think they're appropriate for this
list, and we'd probably have to explain their etymology to some of our
international visitors.