[Asterisk-Users] Centrex

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at macp.eti.br
Mon Nov 1 18:17:17 MST 2004

Em Seg 01 Nov 2004 19:18, Tim Sailer escreveu:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 07:13:07PM -0200, Marcelo Pacheco wrote:
> > If you plug a plain analog phone to the line, then you need an FXO card
> > in it's place.
>
> Yup. It works with a plain ol' phone, Fax, and modem, but you need to
> dial 9 to get out. Just a generic install of Asterisk and having the
> FXO card configured, asterisk never sees the line ring.
>
> > Centrex usually means that you have hired a virtual PBX system. That in
> > itself doesn't mean FXS/FXO/T1/E1, a Centrex could be shipped to you in
> > many diferent ways.
>
> sigh. I hate phone companies.

I have the same issue you have, except that the issue is with a real
(Brazilian) PBX. I have 2 american phones (I live in Brazil) that won't
detect a ring from that PBX, but if I put another phone in parallel, so I can
hear the ring, I can pick up that phone and answer, everything else works ok.
However both a TDM400P FXO module and an MD3200 FXO work ok with that PBX.

This issue is something this Centrex line does that is non-standard, although
I'm not sure it will help, go ahead and play with /etc/zaptel.conf changing
the defaultzone. Try all of them, one by one.

Try putting a multimeter on the line and see what kind of ring voltage do you
get. Usually the Telco put out 96Vdc, some PBXes I've seen use 48Vdc. Maybe
the ring voltage is a little too low ?

The ring cadence, is it non-standard ?

Try usecallerid=yes and usedistinctiveringdetection=yes
Run asterisk on a highly verbose setting (-vvvvvv) and see if it can detect
anything at all when the line rings.

Marcelo Pacheco
M2J Comunicacoes e Informatica
Vitoria-ES-Brazil