[Asterisk-Users] Re: How far is IAX to be a Standard

Mon Nov 1 16:49:06 MST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:14:37 -0600, Michael Giagnocavo
<mgg-digium at atrevido.net> wrote:
> Hi there, I'm in Guatemala. My current connectivity is via a modem (poorly
> implemented EVDO or CDMA, whichever is actually working at the moment).
> Before that we were using satellite. The telco tried to hook up ADSL (@ $229
> for 512K) but fried the phone line, and two weeks later it's still messed
> up. Hardly what I'd call comfortable or first world.

Precisely. First world environment!

Try travelling in Africa, the Middle East and South Asia, where
everything is still mostly dialup and many of the phone wires
installed go back before the time when plastic was invented.

> Simply writing a better spec and then hoping
> that magically the entire world is going to support it

Come on. You know as well as I do that this is not representing the
situation at all. In fact it fails to give credit to Mark and others
who have been working hard to make IAX what it is today. It's not fair
to say that all they did was "write a better spec and hope".

IAX is a reality, it is already being supported by an increasing
number of VoIP service providers who use it to deliver millions of
minutes of phone calls. IAX is now used and supported even by Jeff
Pulver and FWD, recognised by many in the industry as a pioneer of
VoIP.

There is at least one chip manufacturer who has chosen to built IAX
support into their chip and there are several phone manufacturers
supporting IAX or are about to support IAX.

This is definitely well beyond "writing a better spec and hope".

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.