[Asterisk-Users] Re: How far is IAX to be a Standard

niels at wxn.nl niels at wxn.nl
Mon Nov 1 16:34:39 MST 2004

Hello

IAX really isn't the 'one and only' perfect signaling protocol because
many people forget one thing

IAX has one technical issue (by design) which makes it difficult to ever
get accepted by the big boys, a real big problem for carriers who have
big loads on their systems like we do.

With IAX the audio (RTP) and signaling goes embedded over one port. We
all know that the big advantage ofcourse is that this makes it an
excellent performer behind a NAT, but the big disadvantage is that there
is not any DSP chip available in the market which is able to get the
codecs encoded and put into this embedded rtp+signaling channel, and I
wander if there ever will be because another piece of software does the
signaling (asterisk in this case) asterisk would have to 'tell' the DSP
chip the signaling packets to embed into the IAX/RTP channel.. That
would be a whole new DSP standard, Will any chipmaker (besides digium)
ever see the need to design such a chip?

Anyhow, the situation now, is that there is no DSP chip, that means ..
Your main processor has to encode the channel in total (3 to 4 E1's
absolute is the max possible with dual xeon 3 ghz I read somewhere in
this case)

Another method is to send the incoming IAX on asterisk out again with
SIP to a gateway with hardware DSP's.. (like we do).. This needs less
performance ofcourse because asterisk doesn't have to do codec encoding,
but nevertheless will still have to transcode to get the signaling and
RTP merged and submerged from/to this one IAX port to separate
Signaling/RTP ports.. Our setup now is the second scenario.. And my
first (rough) calculations are that a dual xeon 3.0 ghz can handle about
500 concurrent channels in this scenario...

Ever wandered why there isn't any codec (DSP) hardware availiable for
asterisk?? I think here is the answer, because it is very hard to make,
Digium should then be able to design a totally new DSP chip design ..
And that's much more difficult than to design an E1 board.

Our case is that we have about 200 E1's of voip (h323 and sip) traffic
and are still expanding. If we would have this all on IAX this would be
unmanageable, we would need 50 linux boxes.

Conclusion.. IAX Is a good performer behind NAT and perfect for small
setups but to work in an enterprise, Much work has to be done.

Niels.