[Asterisk-Users] SIP via Wireless Ethernet Bridge and Double NAT

Adam Greenbaum lists at refinitive.com
Mon Nov 1 08:54:09 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 15:37, Paul Rodan wrote:
> I keep seeing sip registration failed requests on Asterisk. I checked
> and double checked the passwords, its fine. I believe it’s that the
> device gets the UDP packets through to the Asterisk server fine, with
> the authentication information or whatever; but when the Asterisk
> server tries to respond via UDP, it doesn’t make it through. So it
> fails.

I've seen this situation, it's probably slightly different to how you
describe, although has the same effect.

AFAIK when you send the register, the asterisk sends back a hash so you
can encode the password. If the client doesn't get the reply it will
just try again without the password. You need to see what's going on at
the ATA end of the network to see if the packets are coming back.

Can you tcpdump at any point along the way? If not then set the
'nprintf' host on your ATA and see if that sends any useful info about
what is happening. If you don't have the nprintf server software from
cisco then you can just use netcat:
 nc -l -u -p 9001

It sounds as though it'll take you more than 2 weeks to fix, might as
well wait for the SDSL ;)

Adam.