[Asterisk-Users] Linux and Windows

Mon Nov 1 07:27:21 MST 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:12:15 -0500, Tim Donahue
<tdonahue at haynes-group.com> wrote:
> But don't forget one important point, at this point there is absolutly
> NO hardware support for running Asterisk under Windows.  If you need
> hardware support (TDM Cards, etc) you will need to run Asterisk on a
> Linux based server.

Not anymore. The BSD folks have made serious progress in their effort
to port Zaptel to BSD, and some of the Zaptel cards can now be used on
BSD as well.

Of course this is of no help for Windoze users who think about running
Astwind, but then again, anybody who wants to stick with Windoze
should not really expect much anyway. It is not a serious platform.
Never has been.

However, I think Astwind is a great thing to get into Asterisk, become
familiar with it, than later go Linux or BSD. It is probably also a
good option for Windoze notebook users. You won't have any Zaptel
cards on a notebook computer anyway.

rgds
benjk

Tokyo, Japan.