[Asterisk-Users] Snom and multiple lines

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon May 31 15:27:24 MST 2004

At 4:05 PM -0600 on 5/31/04, Rich Adamson wrote:
>  > So, first,
>>  why do the lights stay on, and secondly, can they light when anyone is using
>>  that extension?
><snip>
>>  Not only do we need the secretay/boss "key system" arrangement, but a
>>  traveling technician would like to be able to add his SIP extension to
>>  someone else's phone when he is working at their station.
>>
><snip>
>>  > How do I get the lights to work correctly on a SNOM 200 when I configure
>>  it
>>  > for more than one line?  The lights stay on solid, although the buttons
>>  work
>>  > correctly for making calls.  Thanks in advance.
>
>I'm using a snom 200 v2.03o with two extns defined, and the lights work
>as expected. (They didn't on some earlier version though.)
>Make sure to define the two (or more) buttons in web interface under
>Key Mappings (P1 = Line = Number <sip:3002 at its-ip-address>, P2 = ...),
>matching Settings, SIP, Lines registered Account numbers.
>
>If I press extn button #2 and place a call, the callerid properly indicates
>the correct extension. If I call the extn number assigned to button #2,
>the LED correctly flashes indicating an incoming call. When the call is
>complete, all LEDs are off.
>
>Regarding your key system question, I've never heard of anyone with a
>configuration that would actual light button #2's LED if some remote
>sip phone happened to be on the extension number assigned to that key.
>If you could dream up a way to do that, it would be dependent on the
>exact sip phone that you're using. There are no sip standards for
>turning on/off LED's like that other then the MWI.
>
>[snip]
>
>Rich

Actually, there do exist standards that would be able to provide the
functions you're talking about with LED lighting based on who was on
what extension.

The SIP SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY tools were written to some degree with that
type of feature in mind.  In fact, the rumor is that the limited
SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY support in Asterisk is specifically for the Snom
phones, but I don't know (and doubt) if it does exactly this.

I _do_ know that Snom has touted that they are SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY
compliant, but I don't know the exact methodology of how they light
up lights, put things on the LCD, or whatever.  If someone wants to
send me a Snom 220, I'll be happy to figure out what's required.  :-)

The Polycoms are also rumored to support this type of feature, but
again I don't know the exact mechanics to make it work.

JT