[Asterisk-Users] Freenet iPhone w/Asterisk

Oliver subs at maerzcompany.com
Fri May 28 10:07:05 MST 2004

The reason why I would like to use Freenet iPhone is their cheap rate
for calls to Germany (1 cent/min). It is correct that you have to sign
up for one of their DSL plans. But the "pay as you go" plan has neither
monthly fee and nor a minimum usage requirement.
The lack of incoming phone number / DID's is not a problem because I
just want to do some least cost routing for calls to Germany.

But back to my configuration issues. I figured out what the problems
were ...

First of all there were usual NAT/SIP issues - that I fixed (thanks for
pointing me to the fwd web forum!).
The other issue was a little trickier: Freenet uses a hostname
iphone.freenet.de. So if I called the number '123456' - * would put
123456 at iphone.freenet.de into the SIP messages. But Freenet expects
something like 123456 at freenet.de. I could not find any way to configure
that with *. So what I did was put an entry into my /etc/hosts
configuration with host "freenet.de" and the actual IP address of
iphone.freenet.de and change the * sip host entry to freenet.de instead
of iphone.freenet.de. Now it works fine. But I wonder if there is any
way to configure that in *?