[Asterisk-Users] Immortal SIP & NAT problem

Ignace CARIA ignace.caria at level-it.be
Fri May 28 05:18:38 MST 2004

Hi guies,

I know I know this subject have been The most written subject about VoIP

Right... but I just want to make clear, just one time !

If Asterisk is on a Public IP Address and a softphone behind the nat,
sip.conf must contains for this phone: nat=yes ....
Now if I want to configure my sipphone (X-Lite) placing behing the NAT,
it must have in "Domain/Realm" the external IP address?

If Asterisk is behind the NAT, sip.conf must have in [globals]

externip = <External IP address>
localnet = < Internal NETWORK address>
localmask = <mask of localnet>

Is that right?

If someone have clear  documents explaining configuration of Asterisk
and many softphone with differents cases of deployement with NAT, these
would be placed on the voip-info.org wiki....