[Asterisk-Users] Wiki TOS - worrying for an open source project?

Julien Levi jules at jlevi.co.uk
Fri May 28 03:52:52 MST 2004

Hi there,

I've made a couple of small contributions to the wiki but recently I
read the Terms of service, they are pretty draconian:

LICENSE AND SITE ACCESS

voip-info.org grants you a limited license to access and make personal
use of this site.  This license does not include any resale or
commercial use of this site or its contents.  Without express written
consent of voip-info.org you may not:

     Download (other than page caching), or modify this site.

     Reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell, visit or use for other
commercial purposes this site or any portion thereof.

     Use frames or framing techniques to enclose this site or any
portion thereof for commercial purposes.

     Use meta tags or other 'hidden text'  utilizing voip-info.org's
name or trademarks.

Any unauthorized use terminates the permission or license granted by
voip-info.org.

and later on:

When you enter content into any area of this web site, unless stated
otherwise, you grant voip-info.org and its affiliates a nonexclusive,
royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable right to
use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative
works from, distribute, and display such content throughout the world in
any media.

The wiki is a great resource and I'm very grateful that the
infrastructure for it has been provided, but I worry about these terms.
Would anyone linked to the wiki care to comment on the reason for them?
A  creative commons license would still allow you to publish a book
based on the submissions, if that is the intent.

What worries me most is that the current terms seem crafted so as to
ensure that should the people who run voip-info ever decide to remove
content, or stop hosting the wiki, it couldn't be mirrored anywhere else.

regards,

Julien