dialogic was RE: [Asterisk-Users] "Glare" condition - How well does asteriskhandle?

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Thu May 27 11:59:05 MST 2004

Hi Steve-

Just briefly:

I was mentioning the old days to illustrate what an even low clock rate DSP
can do.  More recently (2000-2001), using D/600's we were able to drive a
large number of channels (8-12 E1's) for IVR.

All I'm trying to do is to illustrate both the beauty and the limitations of
taking the processor horsepower off the line interface card and doing
everything in the central processor.  The Digium boards are MUCH less
expensive than the Dialogic boards (about 15% the cost, if that, per
channel), but are not a plug-in replacement.  I've hit a real-world limit,
in my less-common environment, of about 4 E1's per chassis.  I believe this
limitation is not so much in the bit-rate i/o, but the PRI call setup
overhead.  I have communicated with a number of other asterisk developers
who have experienced this limitation, again in a high-volume IVR
environment.   I have demonstrated it to Mark as well...

To get back to the original subject a bit, Dialogic developed an elegant API
called Global Call, which maybe we can use, or at least learn something
from.

I'll let you have the last word if you like, Steve.... <s>

Cheers
Scott

Scott M. Stingel
President,