[Asterisk-Users] Re: FireFly doesn't work with 3rd party anymore

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu May 27 11:29:36 MST 2004

In article <c9545v$fn8$1 at softins.clara.co.uk>, I wrote:
> In article <004901c443f7$66f32390$951c2641 at desktop>,
> brian <brian at bkw.org> wrote:
> > Just an FYI FireFly no longer works with anything but the FireFly network.
> >
> > No more SIP, No more IAX.  It was a damn good IAX client... too bad its crap
> > now.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> http://www.virbiage.com/firefly/download/ still says the following:
>
> Standalone SIP / IAX mode:
> If you want to use Firefly on our Firefly phone network (with your own
> voicemail etc.) then you will need to register a phone number. However,
> you can also use Firefly as a SIP or IAX client on your own network.

Well, I just downloaded the new 1.7 build from their website (from the
same page that states the above), and I see what you mean.

When I first ran the new version, it still used my old settings, and
successfully connected to my Asterisk server.

I looked in the Options dialog, and as you say, there is no third
party option at all, only the option to connect to the Firefly network.

Moreover, when I changed an unrelated option (sound output device), it
then overwrote my settings in the registry with new settings for the
Firefly network, Freshtel.

Not impressed. Especially since in their FAQ they still explicitly say it
can be used with Asterisk systems.

Cheers
Tony
--