dialogic was RE: [Asterisk-Users] "Glare" condition - How well does asteriskhandle?

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Thu May 27 08:41:43 MST 2004

Hi Steve-

Not to belabor this, but the PCI version of the Dialogic DMV600 board has
TEN 56311 DSP's per board - that's to handle only two E1's.  Having
programmed the Motorola 56000 series DSP's in my past life, I can assure you
that that's a fair bit of processing power.  In the "old days" (early 90's)
with our own designs, we were able to do all the DTMF, as well as tone and
voice detect for a 30-channel span with only one 50MHz 56001 DSP.

http://www.intel.com/network/csp/products/7603ts.htm

But real-world experience is more important.  The Digium TE4XXP boards can
barely handle 4 E1's in one high-powered chassis (again, high volume IVR) -
we used to routinely put 8-12 Dialogic-driven E1's in a single 300 MHz
chassis with not a burp.  The signalling, protocol, call progress analysis
etc are largely handled right on the Dialogic board.

Anyway, sorry to run on about this..  I'm not knocking the Digium boards, in
fact I support them exclusively now for new customers.   But to have the
support of Dialogic boards available for people who want to build really
large systems (or who have a ton of used Dialogics on hand) would be nice.

Regards
Scott Stingel

Scott M. Stingel
President,