[Asterisk-Users] What a Difference a NIC makes

Steve Totaro asterisk at totarotechnologies.com
Thu May 27 06:02:17 MST 2004

Just to throw this out there for the group.  I had a box of OEM SMC NICs and have been using them in all systems I build including * boxes.  They seem to work great in Windows machines and even plain old Linux workstations but apparently not all that well when realtime is required.  I would get random and usually sparse disconnects and lose registrations with phones and IAX peers.  I kept getting "eth0 too much work at interrupt" and thought that it was an irq problem.  I made sure that nothing was sharing IRQs and the problem still persisted.  Finally looking at the error and ruling out the interrupt part I was left with the eth0 part.

Long story made short I swapped out the SMC NICs with 3com and the world is right again.  I have absolutely no errors in the console and every phone and peer stays available.  If you are having problems and connot isolate why, try another NIC.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro