[Asterisk-Users] NMI occures while loading the zaptel module

Cyrill Rüttimann cr at innovate-it.ch
Wed May 26 00:49:26 MST 2004

Hello,

We are on a point, where we have no further "soft" options to resolve the
following problem:

While loading the zaptel and wct4xxp module, the following NMI occures:

Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and ... You probably have a hardware problem with
your RAM chips.

The NMI is not a real problem, asterisk just starts fine and everything is ok
so far. But we are running diagnostic software from HP to detect hardware
problems. And this software produces a kernel panic because of this NMI from
the zaptel module. We can observe this NMI on two machines of the same type
and software configuration.

Hardware:
HP DL380 G3, 1024 MB RAM, 2x Xeon 3.2 Ghz

/proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3
  0:      81676          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:         19          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          0          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          0          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 24:     696818          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  t4xxp
 29:        495          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  eth0
 30:      60529          0          0          0   IO-APIC-level  cciss0
NMI:          1          0          0          0
LOC:      81544      81543      81543      81543
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Software:
RedHat Linux 7.3 Professional, the whole bunch of HP Software

What we have done so far:
- - tried kernel version 2.4.18-3, 2.4.25, 2.4.26
- - tried zaptel stable and latest
- - disabling HyperThreading in BIOS
- - removed the second processor
- - run memtest86 for about 7 hours - no problems
- - disabling SMP support in the kernel
- - enabled/disabled APIC-Support
- - contacted support at digium, they say it is a problem in the kernel, not a
problem with their module

I have no idea except, change the operating system or the hardware or fix the
software bug - if it is a software bug.

Any hints, advices?

- --
Regards,

Cyrill Rüttimann

innovate IT AG         Tel. 01 430 54 50
Badenerstrasse 808     Fax. 01 430 54 51
8048 Zuerich           Web: www.innovate-it.ch
Switzerland            EMail: cr at innovate-it.ch