[Asterisk-Users] calling card application

Jeremy Hall jeremyhall at mpccorp.com
Tue May 25 12:11:28 MST 2004

That may be the case in Australia, but at least here in the US of A, the
telco accepts what is sent.  I only have it set up to spoof on prefix 8
to call friends, but they already know that if they see their number,
odds are pretty good that it is me.  :-)

The main "legit" way that is used, is when you have DIDs for numerous
office extensions.  You have to set the Caller ID when you call out so
it shows the correct DID extension to call back on.  Or you can always
send your main switchboard number rather than the individual extension.
There are several methods that are commonly used.

As for why the telcos don't look at the incoming number list for your
account, and verify what you are sending is part of that, I don't know.
I agree with you there, it just seems to be the way it should be.  The
only exception I could see is if you have lines from several providers,
and want to send the incoming number from a different provider than your
outgoing. But then it seems they could evaluate that on a case by case
basis but still protect the data.  They didn't ask me though.

But regardless of what it could, and should, be, caller ID is a very
insecure authentication method as it currently stands.

Jeremy