[Asterisk-Users] Sip Registration Problem

Karl Brose khb at brose.com
Tue May 25 11:17:32 MST 2004

RFC  3261  states:

11.2 Processing of OPTIONS Request

   The response to an OPTIONS is constructed using the standard rules
   for a SIP response as discussed in Section 8.2.6.  The response code
   chosen MUST be the same that would have been chosen had the request
   been an INVITE.  That is, a 200 (OK) would be returned if the UAS is
   ready to accept a call, a 486 (Busy Here) would be returned if the
   UAS is busy, etc.  This allows an OPTIONS request to be used to
   determine the basic state of a UAS, which can be an indication of
   whether the UAS will accept an INVITE request.

   An OPTIONS request received within a dialog generates a 200 (OK)
   response that is identical to one constructed outside a dialog and
   does not have any impact on the dialog.

   This use of OPTIONS has limitations due to the differences in proxy
   handling of OPTIONS and INVITE requests.  While a forked INVITE can
   result in multiple 200 (OK) responses being returned, a forked
   OPTIONS will only result in a single 200 (OK) response, since it is
   treated by proxies using the non-INVITE handling.  See Section 16.7
   for the normative details.

   If the response to an OPTIONS is generated by a proxy server, the
   proxy returns a 200 (OK), listing the capabilities of the server.
   The response does not contain a message body.

   Allow, Accept, Accept-Encoding, Accept-Language, and Supported header
   fields SHOULD be present in a 200 (OK) response to an OPTIONS
   request.  If the response is generated by a proxy, the Allow header
   field SHOULD be omitted as it is ambiguous since a proxy is method
   agnostic.  Contact header fields MAY be present in a 200 (OK)
   response and have the same semantics as in a 3xx response.  That is,
   they may list a set of alternative names and methods of reaching the
   user.  A Warning header field MAY be present.

   A message body MAY be sent, the type of which is determined by the
   Accept header field in the OPTIONS request (application/sdp is the
   default if the Accept header field is not present).  If the types
   include one that can describe media capabilities, the UAS SHOULD
   include a body in the response for that purpose.  Details on the
   construction of such a body in the case of application/sdp are
   described in [13].