[Asterisk-Users] 11 instead of Star

Greg Blakely greg at vyger.net
Tue May 25 08:37:25 MST 2004

OK.  Well, here are a couple of newbie-type thoughts on the whole
Vertical Service Code (CLASS) hard-codings.

+  First: let's get some diffs done to allow either 11 or * to be used
as the leading digit(s).
   This is industry standard.  So, if we're hard-coding these
assignments in an effort to be CLASS
   compliant, let's be fully compliant.  I am NOT a coder, so anything I
do will be really ugly,
   but I will do SOMETHING just to arouse horror and guffaws, and to
create a starting point.

+  Second: *8 just ain't gonna work for call pickup unless we want to
blow away the usefulness of
   any *8X CLASS codes, unless (as is probably true) I am missing
something.  So, it would seem that
   a different code would be desirable -- maybe one of the
locally-assignable *94 - *99?

+  It's just as well that *8# isn't used for call pickup anymore.  The
"#" on the end really SHOULD
   mean "end of dialing," and not have any other significance.

Or has this already been discussed to death?