[Asterisk-Users] SIP Authentication Problem

Chuck Ramirez chuck_ramirez at yahoo.com
Mon May 24 14:25:00 MST 2004

I have a group of users configured as extensions in *.These users are registered with a SIP Proxy Server and can receive calls very well. The problem happens when any user tries to make an outbound call. The proxy replies with a "401 Unauthorized" and * don't try another INVITE including credentials.

Here is part of the content of sip.conf.

[general]
port = 5061
bindaddr = *.IP
context = invalidcalls

;This account is used for inbound and outbound calls
register => myuser:mypass at mydomain/999

[mydomain]
type=peer
host=myproxy
context=sip
username=myuser
secret=mypass
fromuser=myuser
fromdomain=mydomain

[user1]
type=friend
host=dynamic
defaultip=default.IP
username=user1
secret=secret1
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=users
callerid="User 1"
nat=yes

Here is part of the content of extensions.conf.

;This part is working fine
[sip]
exten => 999,1,Dial(SIP/user1,,tr)

[users]
exten => _8.,1,Dial,SIP/${EXTEN-1}@mydomain,tr

When I dial the number 812345 from my SIP Phone, this is the message sequence
Phone -> Asterisk: INVITE sip:812345@*domain SIP/2.0
Asterisk -> Phone: SIP/2.0 407 Proxy Authentication Required
Phone -> Asterisk: ACK sip:812345@*domain SIP/2.0
Phone -> Asterisk: INVITE sip:812345@*domain SIP/2.0 (with authentication header)
Asterisk -> Phone: SIP/2.0 100 Trying
Asterisk -> Proxy: INVITE sip:12345 at mydomain SIP/2.0
Proxy -> Asterisk: SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized
Asterisk -> Proxy: ACK sip:12345 at mydomain SIP/2.0

The next message I would expect is another INVITE from * to the proxy with the authentication header.
Why * hasn't send it? Can someone give me a help?

Thanks in advance
    Chuck Ramirez