[Asterisk-Users] 2 Sip phones behind un-natted Asterisk

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Mon May 24 07:46:44 MST 2004

Chad Brown wrote:

> I have 2 SIP phones (Cisco 7960 & XTen) behind a NAT provided by a
> Linksys firewall that supports UPnP.  The Asterisk server has a public
> IP. Here are the problems that I am having with this configuration…
>

>    1. The 2 SIP phones can call MeetMe and have a conference but cannot
>       call each other. (Yes, they connect but no audio either direction)
>    2. I have verify=yes in the sip.conf for both phones. Both phones
>       constantly go Unreachable. (However, the connection is very fast
>       between * and sip phones)
>    3. Sometimes but not always when I try to call phone1 phone2 rings.
>

> Is this Nat messing with me or something else? In any case…Any advice
> out there?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chad

The problem is probably that both of your SIP phones are using the same
port.  I played with two 7960's behind a Linksys on Saturday and finally
got them playing right when I changed the following:

In Phone 1's SIP[macaddr].cnf:

voip_control_port: 5061

In Phone 2's SIP[macaddr].cnf:

voip_control_port: 5062

The default control port is 5060.  Note:  This is the port that the
PHONE uses to initiate the connection to * and not the port it is
connecting to.

John