[Asterisk-Users] e164.org

Matthew Asham matthewa at bcwireless.net
Sat May 22 18:17:53 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 18:08, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Simon Dorfman wrote:
>
> > I wonder if someone can help me understand this.  Let's say I configure my
> > asterisk box to use e164 and then I try to call a phone number in Germany.
> > I'm in the U.S.A.  So if the number I'm calling in Germany is registered in
> > e164's dns, would my call be routed directly via their voip provider?  Or
> > directly to their asterisk box?  And would it be free?
>
>  From the looks of it, they're just a directory... it looks like their not
> running asterisk themselves.

It's a DNS root, that Asterisk (via the EnumLookup application) can
use.  The EnumLookup() application will resolve the number to a dial()
channel.

ie:

; north america enum
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,1,Playback(doing-enum-lookup)
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,2,EnumLookup(${EXTEN})
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,3,BackGround(enum-lookup-successful)
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,4,Dial(${ENUM},30,tr)
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,5,Hangup
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,6,Playback(enum-lookup-failed)
exten => _1NXXXXXXXXX,7,Hangup

To get * to resolve against e164.org, add:

search => e164.org

to /etc/asterisk/enum.conf.

So yes Simon, if you called someone in Germany and it was the zone, your
call would be switched over the 'net.  If not, you could drop it to
NuFone or some other carrier.

> They use something called EnumLookup which I guess is some kind of
> plugin/script.  If the number you're calling is in their database, it calls
> the VOIP number directly, otherwise it calls the POTS number

Or whatever else your dial plan wants to do.

Matthew