[Asterisk-Users] rejected NOTIFY requests

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat May 22 07:39:53 MST 2004

At 7:18 AM -0700 on 5/22/04, Bruce Komito wrote:
>When I enable NOTIFY messages in my SIP device (Sipura), Asterisk reports:
>
>handle_request: Unknown SIP command 'NOTIFY' from 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
>
>When I disable NOTIFY messages, * reports the device UNREACHABLE, followed
>by REACHABLE every couple of minutes.
>
>I think I want NOTIFY on, because the Sipura is behind a NAT server, but
>the constant stream of warnings from * make me think I'm doing something
>wrong.  Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Bruce Komito
>High Sierra Networks, Inc.
>www.servers-r-us.com
>(775) 284-5800 ext 115

Try turning NOTIFY off, and adding "qualify=3000" to your SIP stanzas
for that host.

This will cause Asterisk to originate a SIP OPTIONS query to the
device every 60 seconds, and if the response takes more than 3000ms
(3s) to return, then it will list it as "unreachable".  Otherwise, it
will stay listed as 'reachable' and the NAT mappings will stay in
place for the Sipura device since there will be traffic flowing at a
reasonable rate between the server and the Sipura.

It's probably the case that the NAT mapping for the firewall/NAT
you're behind is less than the interval at which the Sipura sends
NOTIFY requests, though I'm interested as to why it's reported as
"unreachable" instead of "unknown".

JT