[Asterisk-Users] G.729a beta codec on old Pentiums

andrewg at felinemenace.org andrewg at felinemenace.org
Fri May 21 19:45:40 MST 2004

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 12:29:11PM +1000, Christopher Lee wrote:
> Hi,

G'day,

> I've been trying to get the G.729a beta codec running with my remote
> Asterisk box that talks IAX2 to my local Asterisk box.
>

> Digium fixed the problem I was having in registering the beta codec, so that
> now works fine. I've removed the old codec_g729b.so from
> /usr/lib/asterisk/modules and put in place the codec_g729a.so beta from
> digium FTP. My CVS build of Asterisk is about a day old now.
>

> Everytime I try to execute /usr/sbin/safe_astersik with codec_g729a.so in
> place, it crashes and core dumps, not giving much indication of what's
> happening.

If you have gdb installed, try gdb /usr/sbin/asterisk (or whichever path is appropiate) name_of_core_file, and send back the results of

bt
x/5i $eip
info registers

and that should allow the developers or other people to work out what the problem is.

[snip]

> The machine this is running on is rather old - it's a Pentium MMX (166Mhz
> according to Linux, I thought it was a 200Mhz but I'm remote to the machine
> at the moment so I can't watch the BIOS boot to see).
>
> This is probably just a shot in the dark, but could this be related to the
> F00F bug in the older Pentiums? Has anyone else got the beta g729a codec
> running successfully on an older Pentium machine?

As for the f00f bug, its unlikely that would be causing problems, the mention of f00f is there so that you can check to see if the machine is vulnerable. From memory, most os's now include work arounds for that bug.

> Thanks,
>
> Chris Lee

Hope this helps,
Andrew Griffiths