[Asterisk-Users] G.729a beta codec on old Pentiums

brian k. west brian at bkw.org
Fri May 21 20:41:54 MST 2004

It very well could be email support at digium.com and see if maybe they are aware of this issue.

bkw
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christopher Lee
  To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
  Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 8:29 PM
  Subject: [Asterisk-Users] G.729a beta codec on old Pentiums

  Hi,

  I've been trying to get the G.729a beta codec running with my remote Asterisk box that talks IAX2 to my local Asterisk box.

  Digium fixed the problem I was having in registering the beta codec, so that now works fine. I've removed the old codec_g729b.so from /usr/lib/asterisk/modules and put in place the codec_g729a.so beta from digium FTP. My CVS build of Asterisk is about a day old now.

  Everytime I try to execute /usr/sbin/safe_astersik with codec_g729a.so in place, it crashes and core dumps, not giving much indication of what's happening.

  I tried executing Asterisk directly with /usr/sbin/asterisk -cvvvvvvg to get as much verboseness as possible, and have cut the last few lines (host ID and license intentionally blanked out):-

  [format_g729.so] => (Raw G729 data)

   == Registered file format g729, extension(s) g729

  [codec_g729a.so] => (Annex A/B (floating point) G.729/PCM16 Codec Translator)

   == G.729 Host-ID: **masked**

   == Found license '**masked**' providing 2 channels

   == Found total of 2 G.729 licenses

  Illegal instruction (core dumped)

  The machine this is running on is rather old - it's a Pentium MMX (166Mhz according to Linux, I thought it was a 200Mhz but I'm remote to the machine at the moment so I can't watch the BIOS boot to see).

  This is probably just a shot in the dark, but could this be related to the F00F bug in the older Pentiums? Has anyone else got the beta g729a codec running successfully on an older Pentium machine?

  Linux /proc/cpuinfo reports the following:-

  :~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

  processor       : 0

  vendor_id       : GenuineIntel

  cpu family      : 5

  model           : 4

  model name      : Pentium MMX

  stepping        : 3

  cpu MHz         : 167.049

  fdiv_bug        : no

  hlt_bug         : no

  f00f_bug        : yes

  coma_bug        : no

  fpu             : yes

  fpu_exception   : yes

  cpuid level     : 1

  wp              : yes

  flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx

  bogomips        : 333.41

  Thanks,

  Chris Lee