[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Compact PCI platform

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Fri May 21 14:34:24 MST 2004

Kingston claims 300K:
http://www.kingston.com/products/MKF_2603CF.pdf
http://www.kingston.com/literature/MKF_591EliteProCF.pdf

Sandisk Industrial claims 300K-2M "industrial", but only 100K "extended"
cycles (whatever that may mean):
http://www.sandisk.com/industrial_cf_card_specifications.html

Here's the culprit:
http://www.toshiba.com/taec/adinfo/nandflash/
...clearly states that MLC NAND Flash memory has an expected endurance
of 10,000 read/write cycles.

Bottom line is that flash memory designed for industrial application is
likely much more reliable than flash-cards purchased for digital cameras
and such.  Toshiba is actively promoting a consumer flash memory
technology with an expected endurance of 10,000 cycles.  While that
technology will be more than sufficient for the intended audience, this
would present a performance risk for an embedded application; so if I
wanted to replace my HD with a flash-card, I would need to be rather
mindful of the type of flash memory utilized in that card.