[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk upgrade on production box

Brian Cuthie brian at systemix.com
Fri May 21 13:52:17 MST 2004

I'm sure there are better ways, but I usually do the following:

1) make sure my current source directory is named something else (see
step 3)

2) fetch cvs head

3) mv asterisk to something like asterisk_cvs_head_5_21. This keeps all
the old source trees around so that I can easily roll back to any
version I've installed previously.

4) cd to the new asterisk directory (whatever you called it in step 3)

5) make

7) asterisk -r

8) show channels to make sure nobody's using it

9) stop now

10) exit asterisk

11) make install

12) restart asterisk

Note that if you don't 'make samples' the stuff in /etc/asterisk won't
get torched. This should be fine, assuming that the new version doesn't
require any config changes. Naturally, you'll want to poke around in
asterisk/configs to see what kind of new options are available.

-brian