[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk upgrade on production box

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 21 14:39:53 MST 2004

> What is the best way to upgrade a production asterisk box?  make upgrade?  I
> don't want my configs messed with, and need the process to go as smooth as
> possible.  I fetched and built a new kernel last night, but haven't rebooted
> into it.  I'll do that tonight, and then want to quickly upgrade to the
> latest asterisk (mainly for zttest.)

An approach that has worked good in the past is to...
1. rename your /usr/src/asterisk (and others) to /usr/src/asterisk-may20
2. do a complete checkout/build/install as though building from scratch.

If you need to go back to a previous version, simply rename the directories
and reinstall. I've had problems with 'cvs update' in certain cases after
new files added to cvs or I've touched a local file for whatever reason.