[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk on Compact PCI platform

George Pajari George.Pajari at netVOICE.ca
Fri May 21 10:39:47 MST 2004

> A modern CF card has about 10,000 write cycles before it starts
> failing.

Don't know where you're buying that crap but quality CF modules have a
per-sector lifetime of between 300,000 and 2,000,000 write cycles. On top of
this, good quality CF modules have very sophisticated wear levelling
firmware that map external block addresses to different physical sector
addresses to reduce the possibility of "burning out" specific sectors from
frequent updates.

In addition to my work with NetVoice Communications I am also associated
with a Linux fax software company (www.faximum.com) that ships a fax server
appliance which run entirely on CF. We have customers sending hundreds of
faxes per day (comparable to hundreds of voice mails per day) without any
trouble after a year and a half (nor would we expect any problem).

I.M.H.O. The fears expressed on this list about the lifetime of CF modules
are not based on either the facts or empirical evidence.

g.