[Asterisk-Users] RTP timestamps (was: AArgh, * and the 7960)

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri May 21 07:35:37 MST 2004

> > Problems (just for bkw):
> >  1. Stable does not include the "major" iax2 fixes that were corrected last
> > month 2. Head has a iax2/gsm sequence number issue
> > both result in choppy audio when transcoded to sip on Cisco phones.
> >
> > As has been noted MULTIPLE TIMES on this list, there is no realistic
> > combination of cvs code that we can use, period. And since at least some
> > of us are not programmers, we're simply body slammed by the arrogant few.
>
> I presented a stopgap solution to this list earlier this week (TDMoE between
> two * boxes to give you clean RTP timestamps to the Ciscos connected to *1,
> and *2 to the world)
>
> I agree it's not ideal *BUT* it is a solution, and a cheap-as-hell one, too.
> I'm sure you've got i686-class machine with 64MB and a 2GB HDD around that
> you can put a couple of ethernet cards in to for the moment.

That's not even close to an acceptable solution. Try this for perspective...
A new service provider is getting ready to provide iax termination service
to asterisk users throughout the world. Lots of systems and agreements in
place. There is "no" usable cvs code to start the offering. Your approach
dictates he install a redundant system at all locations to handle this
problem. I don't need a calculator to figure out that does not scale worth
a damn. (And, no putting one central system somewhere is not possible.)

Problem has now been escalated.