[Asterisk-Users] Softphone Audio problem

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri May 21 01:27:12 MST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Van Donselaar
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 6:26 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Softphone Audio problem

On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:18:16 +0100, "Andy Farnsworth"
<farnsaw at stonedoor.com>
wrote:

>As a test, I was trying to use Iaxcomm and Iaxphone to connect to
>Asterisk and dial out to my other line.  Using either of these soft
>phones, I can connect to Asterisk and listed to audio just fine.  I can

>even connect across the net to another asterisk server and hear audio
>just fine, however, when I dial out to my second land line the audio
>that is transmitted is horribly broken up.  It is as if the audio
>stream is broken into 8 parts every second and then every other part is

>dropped.  I then tried the asterisk echo test and got the same thing.
>I am running Asterisk under RH9 on an AMD 2600+ 512 Mb RAM Desktop and
>the soft phones on my laptop running Windows XP (Laptop is Sony Vaio
>PCG-GRT815E, 2.8 Ghz processor, 512Mb Ram).
>
>Is this an asterisk problem or a soft phone problem?  If asterisk, any
>ideas on how to fix it?

What kind of PSTN interfaces are you using?  I'm not sure from the
second line?  Do you get the same kind of results when using a SIP
softphone?

I'll be posting new binaries to sourceforge this weekend, because there
have been some library changes related to jitter, but I haven't heard or
seen anything as drastic as you describe.

BTW what version of asterisk?

----- End Original Message-----

Looking back at this, I realized I gave very little information.  I am
using an X101P card to connect to the PSTN.  I have tried connecting
asterisk to my land line and calling to/from my cell phone and 2nd land
line, changed to the second land line and called to/from my cell phone
and my 1st land line.

I have not tried one of the SIP softphones yet but will do so this
weekend.

I downloaded and compiled the latest asterisk from cvs two weeks ago and
have done no updates since.  I will check the exact version when I get
home.

I suspect it is a problem with my laptop as opposed to the software as I
have found that it has started to ding repeatedly when connecting to the
IAXPhone test line.  This dinging happens on my end and goes away as
soon as I hit the mute button.  It does not seem to be sent out across
the network as if I go to the echo test and then unmute and remute there
I do not hear any dings come back and usually there is at least a slight
delay in the echo.

I'll keep trying to resolve this and will try it on my desktop machine
(booted from RH9 in to Win2k) to try it out.  I'll also try my wife's
laptop and the old laptop to see if they do the same thing.

Andy Farnsworth