[Asterisk-Users] * and Cisco routers

daryl at introspect.net daryl at introspect.net
Wed May 19 19:42:02 MST 2004

[...]
> Speaking of which - anybody got
> experience with VoIP and IPSec?  I've never really used
> IPSec, but I would imagine it creates a significant delay.

I run one or more 7960's over several different VPN setups.  The one
that introduces the most latency is a cheap PIX (read: 501 or 506).  A
515 is OK, a 515 with a crypto card is pretty acceptable.  The best
setup is a 1721 or better with a crypto card.  I routinely run that
config at each end using GRE over IPSec and have no problems (it
introduces about 20 ms latency when properly configured.....a cheap pix
can introduce about 40 to 80 on average).

One IPSec VPN connected between a 6509
MSFC<->GigE<->7206VXR<->DS-3<->7206VXR introduces only 12 ms latency on
average.  Of course that's nearly $30k worth of "plumbing", so one would
expect that kind of performance.

Daryl