FW: [Asterisk-Users] * and Cisco routers

lists lists at efastfunding.com
Tue May 18 21:06:54 MST 2004

I understand that softphone are the answer in fact I deploy a ton of the Ip
comm version every week.  I am under contract with the phones so I can't
sell them and there no easy way out of the contract.

As for 79XX's I have several office that have them working over a VPN backed
in to our main office where the CCM's and GW's are with managable problem
and for the most part they are fine.

As for the hacker I am not to concert about them (yes I know this is stupid
but where are they going to go besides in my little phone world as the sip
system will hang off my big system)

I just can't belive it's that hard to setup a sip system.

Another note on the hacker security thing.  I would be happy if could get it
to work first with no outside PSTN connection then do a security audit on it
and fix the holes. If the holes are to bad after the audit then well I have
a nice prebuild system to let some one rent or borrow till the lease it up.

Sorry about the tone but I have been dealing with CCM bugs all day long with
cisco TAC (I bet most of you here have been suck with them before)

---------------

As far as your investment is concerned, the phones have a used value.  I can
offer you $150/phone, but that's not the point.  Putting the 79xx in the
field is a bad idea. The 79xx was intended for the LAN, you know it, I
should not have to sell you on the reason's why field servicing the phone is
fraught with perrel.

I like softphones.  First, employees can't steal them, second, you don't
have rewiring to worry about and 3rd, it's $15/employee for a decent
headset.  If you want to try IAX, see the attached softphone.  I usually can
get through any firewall/NAT with this little guy.  It's not pretty, but it
works great.

The nice part about IAX is that it is so obscure that most hackers will
ignore it as they want to crack SIP or H323.  IAX is pretty safe.

Regards,

TL