[Asterisk-Users] RE: Problems w. chan_capi + ztdummy - SNOM Problem?

Vic Cross vicc at veejoe.com.au
Tue May 18 05:40:45 MST 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004, nicolas wrote:

> I have this problem too.
> If i call out (not only with capi) the codec of my choice is used (ALAW for
> internal phone another for outgoing).
> For an incomming call alaw is used, even if i disable alaw in globals.

I'm guessing that since the incoming call is PCMA (you're on EuroISDN,
right?) that greater preference is given to PCMA as the codec to use on
the leg of the call to the SNOM.  Notice I said guessing -- I really don't
know if chan_capi works that way, but it sounds reasonable to me...

> So my bandwith is highly consumed and i can not do anything.

You can do something: you can remove allow=alaw from the codec list for
your SNOM.  Granted this will affect your use of PCMA for your internal
calls...  If it really annoys you you will need to check out how * decides
the codec to use when it's bridging from one technology to another and
change it.

If you're happy to use PCMA for your internal calls, why worry about it
for chan_capi?  You're not paying for this bandwidth :)  If it's happening
with incoming calls on other technologies, I think you need to look at
how you specify the codecs for those other links (IAX or SIP provider).

Cheers,
Vic Cross