[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Proxy Type

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon May 17 13:46:06 MST 2004

Juan J. Sierralta P. wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 09:57, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>>Ignace CARIA wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps stupid question but, is Asterisk a statefull or stateless proxy?
>>
>>Asterisk is a no-SIP-proxy-at-all :-)
>>
>>Again: Asterisk is not a SIP proxy. A SIP proxy doesn't handle media streams and
>>doesn't terminate or originate calls. Asterisk does.
>>
>>Asterisk is a stateful SIP UAS (User Agent Server) or UAC (User Agent Client) that
>>has some characteristics of a stateful SIP proxy, but in most cases no similarity
>>at all.
>

> 	Would be correct to say that * SIP channel is a B2BUA plus it handle
> the media stream ?
Yes, a B2BUA handles the media stream, so you are 100% correct. I forgot that
part of the SIP terminology :-)

I would like to add that even though Asterisk from a SIP proxy standpoint is
a bit limited, it's a very clever B2BUA for connections to the PSTN as well
as other VOIP protocols. If someone adds IPv6 connectivity, we'll be a really
wonderful IPv4 to IPv6 VoIP gateway as well.

/O