[Asterisk-Users] recommended hardware for quad E1 system

C. Maj cmaj-SPAM at freedomcorpse.com
Mon May 17 08:07:56 MST 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Robert Almeida waxed:

> Could anyone tell me which is the recommended hardware to a system
> running voicemail and conference, attending four E1 trunks and,
> another, attending only one E1?
>
> Can I use a PIII 850Mhz?

Maybe for a single port E1 card, maybe.  You'll definitely
have problems with 4 trunks, voicemail, conference, etc., on
a P3.  Need at least a P4 for all of that.  Maybe dual if
you are doing lots of codec translation.  If you are really
going to put asterisk to work with 120 lines, buy the
fastest box your budget will allow, 1 gig ram, SCSI, the
works.

If you've already got the P3, then by all means, try that
out first before spending your money.  You have to buy the
card either way.  Might as well test your configs on that.

--Chris

--
Chris Maj, Rochester
cmaj_at_freedomcorpse_dot_com