[Asterisk-Users] Scalable IVR

Gregory Junker gregory.junker at shockwaveaudio.com
Fri May 14 12:14:05 MST 2004

Back in 95-97 when I worked with Federated Department Stores' Customer
Call Center IVR, it was implemented using IBM DirectTalk on RS/6000's.
(Federated is the parent company of Macy's, Lazarus, Bloomingdales, etc,
so it's not a small company).

Each RS/6000 had 4 voicepaks (24 lines per, or a T1 per voicepak).
Depending on which time of the year it was (obviously, for a retail
concern Christmas was peak season) we would have between 4 and 7 RS/6000's
running the various call center IVR systems. That means 4*96 = 384 to 7*96
= 672 concurrent lines possible. The system was set up such that lines
were not dedicated to a particular store (and that call load was balanced
across machines), and still there were times (rare) that busy signals
happened.

We had 17 T3's (17 * 24 * 28 = 11,424) voice lines coming into this one
facility at the time. The IVR would do an ISDN transfer to live call
agents when applicable, so the actual call load at any given time could be
around 1,500-2,500 simultaneous (both IVR and agent), even during peak
season.

Before I left, FDS opened up two more regional call centers in Tempe, AZ
and Tampa, FL, to take the load off the main center. These were set up
similar to the main one, with fewer T3s inbound. So peak call volume could
typically reach, MAYBE, 5,000-6,000 (both IVR and live agent) during
insane times, during peak season, across three call centers separated by
about 2,000 miles each.

I say all this because I SERIOUSLY doubt that Digvijay's IVR system will
ever need to approach 10,000 simultaneous calls. Even popular call-in
public polling doesn't see that sort of call volume, as I understand; the
PSTN infrastructure would have a job just handling 600,000 calls per hour
to a single PBX.

Anyway, the prohibitive cost is in the telecom, not the hardware, side of
the equation: Like Steve said, to support 10,000 simultaneous calls you
will need some serious incoming copper, and that monthly recurring cost,
even in India, will undoubtedly swamp the one-time cost of
hardware/software.

My $0.02
Greg