[Asterisk-Users] OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!! NOT!!!

Ronald R. McDaniel rmcdaniel at southerncomp.net
Fri May 14 11:55:38 MST 2004

I sent the following to the great Mr. Louderback:

Mr. Louderback,

If I was your friend, I would request to remain nameless too.  I would
like to reply to a couple of your statements in the article "Security
Holes Make VOIP a Risky Business".  Security holes make any type of
technology risky business.  A small company using wireless two-line
analogue sets are risky since the conversation can be picked up with a
device purchased from Radio Shack.  As in most situations, the technology
isn't the problem, it's the untrained individual that doesn't incorporate
security measures when implementing technology.  Many of the VOIP
solutions that we are putting in place are running over private networks
that are not open to the public ( ie frame relay and point-point leased
line).  You probably believe that guns kill people too. One last note,
VOIP isn't new technology, you are a few years late with your
announcement. If your article has any positive outcome, I hope that it may
encourage those implementing any solution to seek professional assistance.

Sincerely,

Ronald R. McDaniel
Southern Computer Services, Inc.
rmcdaniel at southerncomp.net