[Asterisk-Users] Psssst. The US is asleep - let's talk intern ationalization !!!

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri May 14 06:01:54 MST 2004

Could we do it like this:

<languagecode>[_<countrycode>][-<fileset>]

Meaning
<languagecode>: ISO two letter language code
<countrycode>: ISO two letter country code
<fileset>: up to 8 letter code for choosing a set of files within the lang code directory
se-förför: Would look for files in the se/förför directory, use se syntax
en_au-male: Would look for files in the en_au/male, use en syntax

The language code controls the syntax used for saying phrases where we have such support
The language code + "_" + countrycode controls the directory

In some cases, the country code *may* affect syntax too. We had a case with english vs
american english in say.c

I think this is flexible enough. And if you want to have a us texas voice, you can freely
add it to en_tx, en_us-texmale or tx_north-female

Using your own country code would just default to english syntax.
This does not break any current installations, and adds functionality.

Comments?

/O