[Asterisk-Users] g.729 - licenses and opinions

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Thu May 13 18:46:33 MST 2004

> As someone who has working in speech coding I'd say this is complete
> nonsense. The mass of patents on speech coding was a land grab, and
> nothing more. Much of the really clever stuff in speech coding is
> unencumbered, and always was. In general it is a mass of dumb stuff
> that you unfortunately need to use that has been patented. Those
> patents are not the result of deep research. They are just road blocks
> stuck in people's way.

I'd totally agree with you. At a previous research institute where I
work, people applied for all kinds of junk patents just to fill their
yearly research quota. For the vocoders, I really don't see the need to
pay additional royalties. The basics of all the vocoding techniques are
well known. Knowing how to implement and being able to implement a
hardware optimized version are 2 different things. 95% of people can't
implement optimized versions of the codecs, so they'll have to license
the implementation from companies like DSP Group, Voiceage and Global IP
Sound. I'm OK with paying for the optimized libraries, but I'm not OK
with paying an additional tax on top of that (nearly US$2/port for
G.723.1 when I last checked).

I like the Global IP Sound (iLBC) business model. You can use the free,
generic C version if you don't need high performance, and pay for DSP
optimized versions.

Cheers.