[Asterisk-Users] BGM Music

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Thu May 13 14:30:42 MST 2004

Quoting "Chris A. Icide" <chris at netgeeks.net>:

> On 09:12 AM 5/13/2004, brian wrote:
>  >Every time I hear "But legacy PBX's (do it like this|has this)"  it makes
> me
>  >wanna SCREAM.
>  >
>  >Asterisk is the new, the now, the hip... shed the old and bring on the
> new.
>  >

> <editorial>

To play Devil's advocate:

If Asterisk is so programmable and flexible, why don't we make it just like
those other systems?  Complete transparency would make it so much easier to
slip it in and bypass the old systems, and then add all the groovy additional
stuff that Asterisk has to offer.

And actually, I have to complain about the 'the new, the now, the hip'.  In
actual fact it isn't.  It does do a bunch of different things.  It does
wonderful things.  But it is still missing stuff... like for instance, last
time I checked we can record from Zaptel interfaces, why isn't it consistent
so we can record IP interfaces as well?

Call parking is kludgy when compared to the cool instant feedback provided by
a Cisco Callmanager solution.

We've still got problems with TDM - SIP - IAX2 - SIP.  Some large providers
aren't providing SIP termination yet until things are proven.

We can't do extensive dial plans without having to 'reload' the system so real-
time updates are still a bit of problem in larger environments.

There are other things that are in my craw but I'll leave them for another day.

And if I had the time and the money, I'd contribute in all these areas, but
alas I'm only one person, so will contribute where I can.

But back on the positive note, I'm 100% behind Asterisk.

Ray.

> However, there are very few real green fields out there, and people have
> expectations.  It really doesn't matter to the average employee using a
> telephone that you can do all these new and neat things.  What matters is
> that they knew how to use the phone efficiently yesterday, and today with
> their 'new-fangled' phone system nothing works like it did.  Many
> organizations who do business centered around the phone (sales, customer
> support, etc.), create procedures and policies around the way the phone
> works.  So in that case, you either make asterisk work like the previous
> PBX system, or asterisk doesn't get installed.
>
> Such is real life.  I was flying home from Sydney to San Fran a while back
> and I was sitting next to an vehicle engineer for one of the major US
> manufacturers.  He worked in Australia and was telling me how widely CVT
> transmissions were in use in AU.  He told me of all the huge benefits over
> manual or automatic geared systems, and I asked him why we didn't have CVT
> transmissions in the US.  He said, "because having the engine running at
> one specific RPM even while accelerating or decelerating disorientated
> drivers used to engine sounds correlated with
> acceleration/deceleration".  I read an article just in the last few days
> comparing three new convertibles (mercedes, audi, and saab), and they
> really loved the audi, but one of the negatives they gave it was that it
> had a CVT and many drivers found that disturbing....
>
> So from a commercial point of view, people who are working to install
> asterisk in place of legacy pbx or keysystems will always run into certain
> expectations, and so you will continue to see the messages on this list
> asking how to make asterisk do things "like model XYZ PBX/key system does".
>
> </editorial>
>
>  >Asterisk is about new and exciting ways of doing things and not some
>  >BACKWARDS old legacy PBX way of doing thing.  * will let you be creative
> in
>  >ways PBX's in the past only dream they could. (and some PBX's in the now
>  >that cost in the THOUSANDS and have per port and per user license fees)
>  >
>  >The * has you, follow the white bunny! :P (yes there is no spoon)
>  >
>  >bkw
>  >

> Chris A. Icide
> 332 Valdez Ave.
> Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
> 650-712-8223 voice
> 212-400-1698 IP voice
> 650-712-8995 fax

> --
> Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
> http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.

Ray Burkholder
704 644 6999 x2002
http://www.oneunified.net