[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk resource consumption..

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 11 05:43:52 MST 2004

Robert Lawrence wrote:

> Unfortunately, it is not as simple as just counting channel types.
> You need to factor in which compression codecs are used, as each will
> have a different impact on the system.  Are multiple codecs used
> requiring transcoding, or just one?  And what is Asterisk being used
> for?   Is Asterisk monitoring the channels or is native bridging
> permitted?  Is muisc on hold used, and if so, how many different music
> on hold contexts?  Is Asterisk recording the channels?  What about
> meetme conferences?
>
> Regards.

All valid points..

I realise that it would not be a perfect calculation but if it was
possible to say that in an average you need X MB for running Asterisk
and then Y MB per active channel it would at least give people some
method to calculate the memory requirements, this is similar to most
software where they will say you need a certain amout of memory to run
the app and then in server systems they tell you to add an amount per user..

For example, my system uses 83 MB of RAM (excluding buffers and cache)
when idle and when I make a call to the echo test it uses about 20k..
This means that by these numbers a standard system for 100 concurrent
users would need no more than  128MB of RAM minimum and 256MB would be
plenty.. Obviously this is very simplistic and only based on a echo test
but it does mean that the people who are throwing 2GB of memory at their
asterisk servers are wasting a lot of money that could have been put
into faster processors to handle more calls and services..

Thats really all I was talking about so that it helps people size their
systems and would probably mean fewer "What system do I need?" questions..

Later..