[Asterisk-Users] Low Bit Rate Codecs

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon May 10 17:26:45 MST 2004

Hi,

DTMF will not pass reliably through *any* low bit rate codec, with the
exception of some forms of ADPCM. GSM certainly does not work. When a
VoIP system is configured properly it works just like a cellular
telephone system, which suffers the same problem. It doesn't send the
DTMF tones. It sends a message to the far end saying "outdial a digit X
for me, please". In this way any low bit rate codec will work solidly
for DTMF with a VoIP system.

Regards,
Steve