[Asterisk-Users] Where to start?

Ian A. Underwood agentgrn at dcne.net
Sun May 9 14:10:59 MST 2004

Ed Mansouri wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The goal would be to minimize the expenditure on new equipment, and
> utilize as much of the existing equipment as possible, so I guess it just
> depends on what the requirements of working with an open source PBX are.
> The current desktop phones are pretty sophisticated and provide a lot of
> functionality the preference would be to continue to employ them.

It looks like that at a minimum, you'll need at least one 4-port FXO card
(which Digium now sells...for around $350 I think).  This would handle the
incoming calls.

Most proprierary PBX systems like to use their own phones as well, so in
almost all cases they are not going to work w/ anything outside the PBX
they were designed for.  That's just how it is...and how PBX vendors can
lock you into their technology.

You could set the PBX up to pass-through calls on the analog lines with a
4-port FXS card ($305 @ digium)...and extend w/ IP phones as you can move
things over.

As far as phones go, you can find Cisco 7960s online for as little at $400
apice...or you can deploy softphones to your desktop computer and use those
instead.

--
/* Ian A. Underwood - agentgrn at dcne.net - http://www.agentgreen.org
    There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: