[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940 Phones as paging system?

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Fri May 7 09:01:54 MST 2004

Hi all;

I have been searching for an answer to a question that a customer asked
me and I have only found a few older answers.  So, wanting to find out
if anyone has any experience with this issue and can help provide me
with some advice.

I have a customer which is strongly interested in using Asterisk as a
PBX.  One of the core requirements, however, is that the system MUST be
able to support intercom/paging.  Having searched the archives, it
appears that this question was asked about 6 months ago, and the answer
was that the Cisco phones support this using SCCP and having one line
set to auto-answer, but at the time this was not supported in the SIP
image.  Is this still the case?

Although I know that SIP is the preferred protocol for connecting these
phones with Asterisk, how stable/reliable are the skinny channels?  Is
there any reason I should be rethinking this solution?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting