[Asterisk-Users] chan_sip and Digest realm

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu May 6 00:12:23 MST 2004

James Sizemore wrote:
> I am going to change my Digest realm to match my DNS SVR record.
> I dug through the code  in chan_sip.c and on line 2748 I found it hard
> coded <frown> :
>  snprintf(tmp, sizeof(tmp), "Digest realm=\"asterisk\", nonce=\"%s\"",
> r\anddata);
> I'm going to change this to :
> snprintf(tmp, sizeof(tmp), "Digest realm=\"isdn.net\", nonce=\"%s\"",
> r\anddata);
>
> I looked through the code and this does not look like it will cause me
> any problems.
> Has anyone else changed the "Digest realm"? Did you have any odd problems?
In the chan_sip2 module, I've a setting called "realm=" in sip.conf
Time to port that over to chan_sip.

No, it doesn't cause any harm. On the contrary, the RFC states that this
should be unique for your service. The password belongs to the realm, not
really the from: domain or your server's name. One server could handle
multiple realms and one user could actually have to authenticate to multiple
realms for one call.

However, this is widely misunderstood in the SIP client industry, so very
few clients have a proper configuration for this.

/Olle