[Asterisk-Users] RFD: With echo and other distortion, can ulaw/alaw line quality ever be good enough for faxing?

Ryan Thrash rthrash at studiovertex.com
Wed May 5 21:27:38 MST 2004

Still way to early to tell any definitive results, but here's my
preliminary observations:

1) Forget faxing through an ATA for now. If you need echo canceling for
voice quality, it kills faxing. Otherwise, you can get faxing to work,
sometimes with echo canceling turned off. It would be nice to
enable/disable echo canceling on a per extension basis instead of
globally (think 100 DIDs on 23 channels...).

2) PRI T1 -> T100P -> TDM10B -> Analog fax appears to work fine with
minimal configuration!

I'd be interested in working/testing the fax side of the equation. It
really *should* work in Asterisk. I find your comment below about echo
canceling changes particularly interesting. We have multiple daily
complaints of echo at the office, despite the fact that voice calls
come in on a T1 PRI. The theory as I've been told is that you
*shouln't* need echo canceling with a T1. My experience is totally the
opposite. I wonder if there's something I could get Allegiance to
tweak? I feel for you on the tech support response... got a very
similar one myself.

HTH,
Ryan Thrash