[Asterisk-Users] RFD: With echo and other distortion, can ulaw/alaw line quality ever be good enough for faxing?

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Wed May 5 12:35:25 MST 2004

Folks,

The silence was deafening ... I had a few private replies but overall I'd
have to conclude that most people on this list aren't interested in faxing
thru Asterisk. You're all probably jazzed about VoIP and fax is forgotten
for now ;-)

We have learned the answer to _one_ of the questions I asked below - the
Adit channel bank's gain controls can be usefully applied to adjust each of
the incoming telephone lines independently, and by combining the Adit's gain
setting with Asterisk's, fun and good things can be made to happen ;-)

Another interesting observation is that echo can be seen visually when using
ztmonitor. Muting one side of the call (the RX side), and speaking from my
handset I can see my voice appear stongly on the TX side, and then I can see
the echo appearing on the RX side at an attenuated level, but it follows my
voice perfectly ;-)  I spend half a day talking to myself, and I have to
say, for the first time in ages I was running out of things to say! :-)

In other interesting news, updating zapel from CVS seems to have made things
significantly better. I had CVS from about 4 weeks ago previously, so
perhaps something was amiss. We can actually get faxes transmitting now, and
although they fail about 30% of the time, this is definitely progress.

Another data point, is that MARK3 echo cancellation is audibly worse under
our particular conditions. We're using MARK2 with the aggressive option
enabled, and while occasional flares of distorted (but attenuated) echo can
be heard, it's much easier to have conversations with customers! I'm
disappointed nobody commented on the echo cancelation options in the
source... I can only assume nobody actually knows the origins of any of them
any more, and the other ones are mostly anachronisms that are no longer
useful, and MARK2 is the clear winner.

Unfortunately, the news from Digium's technical support is not good. Here's
what they had to say in response to our inquiry about faxing:

"Faxing in asterisk is only at varied levels of support and is
definitely not at a production level.  However, if you wish to work on
this we wouldn't mind at all :-).  The source code is of course free
to your disposal."

I'm not sure I understand that this support rep is saying to me ... we've
had much success faxing from one PRI to another with them both connected to
Asterisk via a TE400P. Asterisk doesn't even break a sweat. We're rarely
getting the theoretical maximum of 33,600 that we can get with a T1 loopback
though, so something's slightly amiss, but it's only when we try to go out
to the PSTN that things start to fall apart badly.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer