[Asterisk-Users] Using IAXTel to dial FWD

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun May 2 11:51:50 MST 2004

Joe,

Inline comments...

> > > now. But if you have a look at this page ->
> > > http://www.freeworlddialup.com/advanced/iax you will find that you can now
> > > use FWD with IAX2 along with SIP :)
> >
> > FWIW, I just moved our FWD account to iax2, and it works rather well
> > with *. The referenced web page does have a couple of configuration
> > errors on it, but nothing all that difficult to diagnose/fix.
> >
> > Also, it appears the FWD -> IaxTel definitions are incorrect (again)
> > causing problems with connectivity in both directions.
>
> Could you share your conf files with us.

I followed the instructions on the fwd page, but I had to add "allow=ulaw"
to the iax.conf general section (which was hinted on the page but easily
missed), and changed the Dial statements (since only one of them is needed).
I also wrote back to FWD regarding this and Ed has updated those fwd pages
as of yesterday. Might compare your config files to his again.

What he is showing on the pages right now should work just fine; they do
work for me.

> I can connect to FWD on my asterisk - but FWD only see me as an external
> SIP agent and not a SIP client of the FWD network.  DOn't know exactly why
> - so would luv to compare your conf files.

I don't know that I'm understanding your statement above relative to sip.

Taking a guess... one of the steps on the page indicates you have to
write an email to Ed and ask him to make the changes so your account
uses iax2 instead of sip. That note suggests it might take a day or two
for those manual changes to be completed. It could be your changes have
not been completed as yet, or you didn't send him the email; tough to
guess based only on the words noted above.

If you previously had a register statement in your sip.conf for fwd, you
should comment it out as its no longer needed after the iax conversion.

The following steps should help you diagnose what is happening:

1. I don't remember which asteisk config file changes get reread when
you do an asterisk "relaod" command from the CLI, so just get in the
habbit of "stop now" and restart asterisk from scratch when making
the changes needed for this sip to iax conversion.

2. If your register statement in iax.conf is correct, then when you
execute the "iax2 show registry" it should return something like:
 Host                  Username    Perceived             Refresh  State
 65.39.205.121:4569    62353       203.212.183.101:4569       60  Registered
where 62353 represents "your" fwd number (whatever it is). If you don't
see the above, then fix your register statement and stop/restart asterisk.

3. FWD site indicates that dialing 612 will provide you with the current
time. Assuming you followed the instructions correctly on their page,
dial that number from one of your phones, then execute "iax2 show channels"
while the call is in progress. You should see something like:
Peer             Username    ID (Lo/Rem)  Seq (Tx/Rx)  Lag      Jitter  Format
65.39.205.121    62353       00001/00001  00003/00007  00000ms  0019ms  ULAW
1 active IAX channel(s)

The above would confirm your "outbound" entries in extensions.conf and
iax.conf are correct. If you don't see the above, then go back and check
your configs again.

4. The FWD site includes a page that sends a test call to your asterisk box.
Find it and use it to generate an incoming call, which will test all
remaining configuration statements on your system. Its currently about half
the way down the page at:
 http://www.freeworlddialup.com/content/view/full/274/
where it says "Call Me". It is a handy way to make inbound call tests
without bothering other FWD users.

4. Last, you should be able to originate a call to your own FWD number and
watch the asterisk CLI send that call to FWD, and FWD attempting to call
your phone. Read those statements very carefully as the words will
actually describe most configuration problems.

If you want to test further, then initiate a FWD call from some other phone
other then the one that you normally receive incoming FWD calls from. You
should be able to call yourself via FWD nicely.

If you still can't get this to work, then give us some real output from
your asterisk CLI, and paste portions of the extensions.conf and iax.conf
that relate to this.

Rich