[Asterisk-Users] RE: Caller ID

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Sun May 2 04:44:47 MST 2004

On Sunday 02 May 2004 12:30, Kevin Walsh wrote:

> I'm not sure if software support for the line reversal monitoring is
> desirable in the driver.

Probably not - but surely isn't is a well-accepted method that software is
often used to fix bad hardware design?

I firmly believe that half the reason so many companies refuse to open-source
their drivers is because it would horrify us all at the number of "special
case" if {} blocks and /* fix for lack of blablabla support */ comments that
we'd find :)

From what I read, isn't the polarity switch fairly redundant? Would it not be
enough to just leave the fskmodem.c code running all the time (for a single
X100P on a 1GHz system, I can't believe this will have a noticable CPU hit),
instead of the current 'wait for a ring, then listen for CLID' ?

I have tried to look into the source, but I'm no C coder and just ended up
getting increasingly confused :(

Indeed, would there really be much extra work required, since the UK FSK
databurst is in the same format as the USA (from what I understand) - so much
less work would be required to suport this, than the DTMF-based CLID...

Cheers,
Gavin.