[Asterisk-Users] dialing out to PSTN from SIP phones

Tom Scott telecomtom at vedatel.com
Sat May 1 11:29:32 MST 2004

thanks for responding.

the changed the include commands and they are now at least
causing the extension to match using one of the local
10-digit numbers. this is what shows up on the console:

Executing StripMSD("SIP/1008-32df", "1") in new stack
-- Executing Dial("SIP/1008-32df", "Zap/1|BYEXTENSION") in new stack
-- Called 1
-- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
-- Executing Congestion("SIP/1008-32df", "") in new stack

show dialplan looks alright, but show channels indicates:
0 active channels.

i'm guessing that that's a problem (0 channels). so i look
in the zapata.conf file, which is the only place i remember
doing anything with channels. this is the content of that
file:

[channels]
language=en
context=default
signalling=fxs_ks ! with only the FXO card, no FXS
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
relaxdtmf=yes
callwaiting=yes
callwaitingcallerid=yes
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
cancallforward=yes
callerid=asreceived
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
rxgain=0.0
txgain=0.0
immediate=no
channel=1

the commands that are getting executed by the match in the
extensions.conf file are:

exten => _9NXXXXXXXXXX,1,StripMSD,1 ! using 10-digits for CO switch
exten => _NXXXXXXXXXX,2,Dial(Zap/1,BYEXTENSION)
exten => _NXXXXXXXXXX,3,Congestion

when we hit the Dial command it appears to fail. that's when we
get the "Hungup 'Zap/1-1'" error message on the console.

the SIP phones are still working. we can call from one sip phone
to the other on the LAN, and we can call into the asterisk system
from a PSTN phone and connect to the sip phone.

any ideas? is there something we have to do to activate a channel?
is Dial(Zap/1,BYEXTENSION) command correct?

-- TT